Day 195

7:22 AM Posted In Edit This 7 Comments »


This is usually the scene in my bathroom come morning. My routine: hit the snooze button 4 times. Roll out of bed. Stumble over to the bathroom. Use the bathroom. Brush my teeth. Turn on the shower. And, while I'm waiting for the water to heat up, I step on the scale. It's not a fun way to start the morning, by any means. But you know what was different this morning?...Drum Roll please.... I've lost 3 pounds!

Okay, so I know it's only 3 pounds. But this is the first time that I have actually lost weight while making an effort to exercise and eat better. I lost about 10 pounds this time last year, but that was because I was too lazy to walk down to the dining hall, so I only ate one meal a day. This year, I'm actually trying, and these are the first results that I've seen.

It's really nice to know I'm not doing all of this for nothing. This whole diet and exercise thing does not at all come to me naturally. I love to eat, and I love food. I'm a social eater--it's one of the few things in Athens to do. Want to hang out with someone? Go to dinner! Go get dessert! Already eaten? It's okay, eat again!

My other problem is, as I've said, carbs. I LOVE bread. It's that third roll at dinner, with real butter. Baked potatoes. Mashed potatoes. Scalloped potatoes. Fried potatoes. Rice. Any cake or pastry.

So even though it's hard to keep it up, for the first time I've motivated myself to get up off the couch and do something for once. Even though I would much rather go to the pool or take a nap, I walk on the treadmill for 40-50 minutes. Even though everyone around me (except my mother, who will perpetually eat healthier than me) is eating all the foods that I want to be, I'll go with the option that's better for me. Maybe one day, my scale will smile at me!

7 comments:

J.J. in L.A. said...

Congrats! My mom has been losing for several years and looks great!

Carbs are my downfall too. Especially pasta and bread. I've yet to use my Wii for exercise too. *sigh* ; )

Lacey said...

Good for you! That is so awesome!

Potatoes are my one true weakness. I don't care at all about chocolate, or ice cream, or cupcakes... but put ANY kind of potato in front of me and I'm toast. I eat chips by the bag, haha. And don't even get me started on hashbrowns... or french fries... or country fried potatoes... or mashed potatoes... or baked potatoes... or... or... ACK! (I need help.)

Randa said...

Congrats!

And that's why you asked me about Ramsey . . . sneaky girl.

:0]]

thisamericantourist said...

Congratulations! I can never seem to lose weight. I'm pretty active in my day-to-day, but cake is also very delicious. I'll probably be the same size for the rest of my life. Ah well - that's life!

Greener Bangalore said...

awesome roller coaster.....and 19 times in two monthsssssss huh??? :)

Unknown said...

i would never ride that rollercoaster

BusyB said...

thats great and wow I am not a roller coaster looking at that just gets me sick lol!