Day 143

11:00 AM Posted In , Edit This 4 Comments »


Well, I made it to Oxford in one piece. This is a picture of my bedroom. There are four beds (you can't see one), but I only have one roommate. I'm on the third floor, and let me tell you, dragging a 65 pound suitcase up two flights of stairs is NO FUN.

It was... interesting, getting here. I arrived in London at noon yesterday after the longest flight of my life. I found several other people from UGA, and we managed to find the right bus to get us to Oxford. Then they went to their hotel, and I went to mine. It was quite possibly the smallest room I've ever seen, but comfy enough. It had a bed and a shower, which is all I really cared about. The jet lag is getting to me though - I went to bed at 8:45 PM, woke up at 1 AM, went back to sleep aroud 4:30 AM, and then woke up around 8 AM. And now, I'm sleepy again, but I'm trying to keep myself from taking a nap so I'll get used to the time difference.

It's weird. The people here have been either really rude, or really nice. Some of the rude ones were in the airport, and all airport people are rude, so that's not too surprising. I went to lunch at an Italian place with 4 other girls today, though, and the man who brought our food out was terribly rude to us. He was nice to the rest of the (British) customers though, so it had to be because we're American. Our waitress was really nice, however. It's like there's no "in the middle".

I've also found that I'm a little more homesick than I thought that I would be. It's probably because this is the first time that I'm really traveling alone, with absolutely no one that I know and am familiar with. I've met some people, but it's not quite the same. I find myself wanting to call my parents all the time, but at $1 a minute, I can't.

Also, the voltage converter I brought with me so that I can use British outlets decided it doesn't want to work. One of the other people here let me use his, so I'm able to charge my laptop. I just hope that the stores are still open when I go on my walking tour through the City Center of Oxford later.

I'm also slightly stressed, since I have two papers due Monday, neither of which I've started. I guess that's what I'll be doing tonight and tomorrow night, I guess. I have a free day on Monday, so I'm really hoping that the papers will be due by Monday night.

Overall, I'm doing pretty well. I feel a bit lonely, since I'm separated from the other 4 girls, who are rooming together, and my roommate is off with her dad. I think things will improve in that area once we start going to class and on the various excursions. I'll be taking lots of pictures!

4 comments:

Randa said...

Ah, no worries, friend, it'll get better! And it sounds like you're getting along with people all ready. It's quite normal to be homesick - the only time you really moved to a enw place was at UGA and you roomed with me.

:0]

Good luck on your papers and I want to see LOTS of pictures!!

By the way, if people are rude to you, the best thing is to be as nice as possible back. Makes them feel like a Jack ass later.

:0]]

J.J. in L.A. said...

It's probably the change in environment that's making you homesick...and the rudeness, I'm sure, isn't helping. Take Randa's advice. Them not liking Americans isn't your fault. If you're nice to them, maybe you'll change their minds. And, pretty soon, you'll be too busy to worry about it anyway. : )

Stephanie said...

I actually really like my roommate, and I apparently have two others. One isn't getting here until tomorrow, but the other two are pretty cool. And I ate an authentic meat pie!

kasheyev said...

that's exciting