Day 144

11:01 AM Posted In , Edit This 2 Comments »


While you can't see it very well in this picture, because we were facing the wrong way, this is me and some others from the UGA at Oxford program standing in front of Christ Church, which has one of the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen. I haven't gone in yet, but I'm planning on it as soon as I have the time. This is where they filmed the moving staircase scene from Harry Potter! I've also seen the place where they filmed the dining hall scenes. Exciting =]

On the same day that we took this picture, I also went into a building that has been around since the 1200s. It's been completely refurbished - in the 1500s! Everything is so old here. What they consider to be "recent" is often before my country was even a real country yet. It's incredible!

Yesterday and today have been devoted to papers. I was up until about 4 AM finishing one, and I'm now working on the other. But after that, I don't really have much due the whole time I'm here.

As a side note, here are some things I've learned thus far:
  • The dollar to pound exchange rate SUCKS
  • Coke Zero tastes funny
  • You're supposed to eat pizza with a knife and fork
  • They intentionally give you more reading than you could ever possibly finish
  • Drunk Englishmen will serenade you with birthday songs if asked nicely
  • The peanut butter also tastes funny
  • People back home sometimes forget about the time difference and call you at 3 AM
  • In the summer, the birds start chirping at 3:45 AM and the sun starts to rise at 4
  • Pea puree comes with everything
  • This is the land of no free refills
  • Everything comes in really tiny glasses. Obviously they don't like liquids
  • Baked beans are a breakfast food
  • It's a trolley, not a cart or a buggy, and you must pay for it, along with your plastic grocery bags
  • If you have one foot in the bike lane, someone will ring their bike bell angrily at you

Well, I'm off to do more of my paper. Cheerio!

2 comments:

ThatOneGuy said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! Enjoyed reading it, thanks for posting.

Lacey said...

No free refills?! Absurdity! :-)