Day 180

2:08 PM Posted In Edit This 4 Comments »
So I found my camera, but it's not currently with me. I will write about Valentine's Day--promise! Because I know that you're all eager to hear about it =]

This post is about something else entirely--computers. I can't remember if I wrote about this or not, but my beloved Dell XPS died. The mother board on it crashed, so I took it to Geek Squad. Fortunately, I have a service plan with them, so they were able to ship it off to be fixed. In the mean time, Dad has been meaning to buy a laptop for the family for a long time, so he bought be a mid-range Asus to tide me over until mine came back, and he would use it when I got my Dell back.

A month later, and it comes back to the store. They ran a few tests on it to check for integrity, and, lo and behold... it wasn't okay. To make up for things, the guy overnighted it back to Computer-Fix-It-Land. A week goes by, and I didn't hear anything from them. Finally, I got an email saying I need to call my local Best Buy because they needed some additional information from me. When I called, they informed me that my laptop had become a "junk-out"--basically the computer version of a totaled car. The cost of fixing it was higher than the value of the laptop, so the guy told me I could come into the store and pick out a new laptop for the same price as my old one, which is, with tax, roughly $1100.

Now, you would think that with that chunk of change, I could find something really nice that I liked. Well, you think wrong. Because I have store credit, I have to go with what Best Buy offers. In this price range, they offer: Dell, HP, Sony Vaio, Asus, Toshiba, Apple, and Gateway.
Here is my problem:
  • I refuse to buy another Dell. I loved the one that I had, but it was the top of the line, and it still messed up. What does that say about the cheaper ones?
  • I know several people whose HPs have died right after the warranty was up. I also had a rather expensive HP printer crap out on me after only a year or two. No HP for me.
  • I've been told that Sony Vaio is alright, but it's really not that reliable and is overpriced.
  • I like the Asus, but I'm not sure I really want another one. I don't have a problem with the machine I'm on now, but... I don't know. I'm just not blown out of the water by it.
  • Toshibas, I've heard, are fairly decent computers too. The problem is that I can't find one at Best Buy that I like--they either have awesome battery life, but are 8 lbs, or they're light and sound good...with a 2 hour battery life.
  • I'm scared of getting a Macbook. I've always been a Windows girl, and I have NO idea how to use a Mac. Also, I would have to install Windows because most law school technology runs off of Windows XP.
  • Gateways are dinosaurs. The end.
No matter which computer I look at, there's something about it that I don't like. With my XPS, there was NOTHING wrong... well except for that pesky motherboard problem.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Randa said...

I personally wouldn't go with a Mac my friend. Remember? You don't like apple. Just saying [think iPod. Now think big iPod that's more money. Remember how many problems you've had with that?]. Plus, it's more of a media laptop - it's really for those artsy-fartsy kids and not really for the stuff that you need a laptop for.

Plus, and this my personal opinion, people with Macs tend to look like douches. Just saying. :0]]]

I would try to go with a Windows system - you know it, you wont have to relearn a system, etc. I think you'll end up regretting getting a Mac.

J.J. in L.A. said...

I had to buy a new desktop computer last September and remembered that my favorite computer of all time was an Acer. So I bought another Acer and upgraded my monitor to an Acer. I love both of them!

I recently bought a Netbook and wanted the Acer but Sam's Club was out so I bought the HP. I've always had HP printers and was only disappointed once so I figured "What the heck?"

So far, so good.

Not much help, I know. Sorry! lol!

fs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fs said...

Hi,
My suggestion is not to buy an expensive one. It may not be a well explained argument but really don’t buy an expensive one. Think that the laptops that they cost now 1500$ in 3 months cost 1200$ and in 6 1000$. And really they are not bad at all for a normal user. To tell you the truth they are great even for a more professional user. Check out only the memory … at least 3 GB and if the processor can be a P series and not a T series one. Mine is a Intel Core Duo P8400 (Toshiba portege and I am really satisfied). Concerning the rest check out which brand gives you more guarantee and buy the most pretty one. I think that the most of the times in our life it is nice to have beautiful things near our office or in our bags. That’s it and don’t think too much.. At the end all is a matter of luck!