Day 97

12:37 PM Posted In , , Edit This 1 Comment »


This is how, at the moment, showers must be taken in my household. Or at least, that's how it was yesterday. I'm not too sure about today.

Saturday night, I noticed that the faucet in my bathtub wouldn't turn off completely. It wasn't just dripping, it was a steady trickle of water that I just couldn't get to stop. My dad looked at it and said it was just a problem with the washers (whatever those are), and would only take 15 minutes to fix. In order to fix it, he had to turn the water to the house off. A half hour later, he was still working on it. It hasn't been worked on since we built the house, 15 years ago, so some things have rusted together. Apparently, when he was using a wrench to twist something off, that something had rusted to two copper pipes, and the wrench twisted those pipes. So... he couldn't turn the water back on.

You don't realize what all you need water for until you don't have it. Toilets, laundry, dish washers, brushing your teeth, showering... So we hauled buckets from the hot water heater (which still had 50 gallons of water in it), and used buckets and a watering can to bathe.

Other than that, Easter was good. We didn't end up going to church, since none of us could shower, and Dad was working on the plumbing. We did have honey-baked ham, though, and I made peach cobbler - from scratch - and it was actually not only edible, but really good!

1 comments:

J.J. in L.A. said...

I've been without water (for 3 days) before...and the worst of it is not being able to take that shower. *shudder*