Day 1

11:38 PM Posted In , , Edit This 2 Comments »

This is my living room. Sorry for the bad quality, but I took it on my phone because my camera is in my dorm, and even if it wasn't, I'd be too lazy to get up and get it anyway.

Anyway, the significance of this particular picture is that I am on the internet in my living room. Yes, I know, this isn't some spectacular miracle- lots of people have wireless internet. Until today, however, I did not. My dad and I drove to an electronics store about 45 minutes away, in the fog and the rain, mostly because he's cheap, and they had a sale, but also because I had absolutely nothing else to do (gotta love Christmas break). When I got home, I had to set it up.

This was the process:

  1. Start setup wizard
  2. Restart setup wizard after having to turn off all firewalls
  3. Climb under the desk to plug everything in
  4. Search the entire room for the login information to our DSL, which my father wrote down on a random note card, and then promptly misplaced.
  5. Finish setup
  6. Realize it won't connect
  7. Call Netgear Customer Service
  8. Attempt to understand the Indian guy, who was spectacularly unhelpful
  9. Call the AT&T people to get them to switch our DSL modem to a different mode of some kind
  10. Setup again
  11. Scream because it didn't work
  12. Call Netgear again. Unhelpful, again
  13. Call the father of a friend who knows computers
  14. Have him fix the problem in under five minutes
  15. Jump with joy!

So, after here roughly two and a half hours, here I am. In my living room.

Amazing.

2 comments:

Randa said...

Haha. That was slightly amusing, I must say. But congratulations! You have wireless now! Too bad you're returning to the loserish dorm that runs only on ethernet cord, if it feels like it, and we sit there, two feet apart, screaming about it . . .

Yeah, but congrats! And I'll see you tomorrow!

J.J. in L.A. said...

>Attempt to understand the Indian guy, who was spectacularly unhelpful.

At least he didn't try to sell you a Protection Plan like the Indian guy I talked to (which I accidently agreed to because I couldn't understand a word he said), when all I wanted was to activate my credit card.

Cute story!

Btw, I came from Randa's page.